Tuesday 5 January 2016

Review: NYX Beauty on the Go Palette



Well, let's start this post off with a Happy New Year! Wow, 2015 was such a good year I can't believe 2016 is already upon us. My New Year's Resolution for this blog is to post at least one blog post per month, so let's see how this one goes!

With my Boxing Day shopping I came across this beauty over here at Rexall for $19.99. This is NYX's Beauty on the Go Palette. Regularly priced at $30.00, I thought that $10.00 off was a pretty good deal. Honestly, if you can find this at your local Rexall for the discounted price PICK IT UP!

 






This palette comes with 31 eyeshadows, 5 pressed pigments, 3 contour shades, 3 highlighters, 3 blushes, and 7 lipsticks. Packaging wise it comes in a black plastic case. Personally, I think it's a good size considering the amount of product that is in the palette.


The first layer of the palette are the shadows and the pressed pigments. The pressed pigments can be found as the second last colour in the second row, the first colour in the third, the hot pink and vibrant purple in the second last row and the burnt orange colour in the last row.

I love these shadows so much. I love the fact that the size of these pans are quarter-sized. You really do get a lot of product for the value of the palette. I also love the variety of shades you get. You get your neutrals and transition shades. You get the fun and vibrant colours. You also get some incredible unique shades. There is also a variety of finishes from matte to metallic. NYX did a great job of including everything under the sun without including unnecessary shades which still makes it a great choice for travelling.

Let's get into swatches of these shall we?


The first row includes a very light shimmery lilac, a shimmery light brown, a matte white, a matte cool toned light brown (perfect transition shade), a black with silver shimmers throughout, and a matte vanilla shade.


The lilac colour lacked for me in this row but every other colour showed good pigmentation.


The second row includes a matte baby pink, a warmer toned shimmery lilac shade, a very metallic silver (in LOVE with this one), a shimmery mint green, a warm toned shimmery pink, and a medium cool toned shimmery brown.


Again, the baby pink was lacking for me in this row but this lilac makes up for the one found in the first row. And please, do me a favour, and LOOK AT THAT SILVER. LOOK AT IT. Ugh, I can't get over how buttery it is to the touch and how pigmented and metallic it is swatched. The mint green also surprised me with it's pigmentation. 


The third row includes a muted mauvey pinky shade (ahh, I'm really good at naming colours I swear), a very interesting shimmery tropical blue, the BEST turquoise colour I have ever come across, a metallic gold, a rustic copper colour and a matte tan shade. It's another great transition shade.


Look at that turquoise. It's sos beautiful it makes me wanna cry. I have no complaints about this row.


The fourth row reminded me of a muted summer palette. Don't ask me why. I just see it and the first phrase that comes to mind is "muted summer". What does it mean? I don't know. The colours that are in this row are a shimmery taupey colour, a peach shade, a light sky blue, a shimmery forest green, a more lighter metallic gold (my kind of lid colour for sure), and a warm brown.


No complaints about my muted summer. None at all.


The second last row consists of a hot neon pink (emphasis on the HOT), a vibrant purple, a matte navy blue, an interesting mix of an olive green with gold shimmers throughout, a beautiful bronze shade, and a chocolate brown.


Honestly, I would've liked more pigmentation in the navy blue however the other shades are absolutely gorgeous. I mean look at the pink and purple and that bronze!


The final row has a beautiful shimmery burgundy shade (almost like a frosting finish), a deep purple with silver shimmers throughout, a navy blue with silver shimmers, a beautiful green, a burnt orange and a deep brown with red undertones.


Look at that purple and orange. Incredibly happy with this row.


When you slide to the right (like Tinder), you'll find the layer with all the face shades and lip colours.


I don't usually like lip colours in pans, so I honestly think I'm going to take these out of the palette. The colours included are a nude, a baby pink, a coral, a shimmery red, a mauve, a matte red, and a berry shade.


These shades swatched more like glosses, and I'm not the biggest fan. They are still very pretty.


The contour shades are a little bit too light for my skin tone to really act as a contour. The first shade is ashy for my skin tone, I think I would get more use out of the other two shades. If you have a darker complexion you won't find much use for these shades unless its for a face powder which you can get away with considering they are all matte.


As you can tell from the swatches, the contours aren't the best fit for my skin tone.


The highlighters are one word: AMAZING. I love that you get a white shimmery shade, a pink toned shade, and a golden shade. These are all beautiful and super pigmented. Good job NYX.


I mean, c'mon. That pigmentation. In a value combination palette. From a DRUGSTORE BRAND?! It's a win.


The blushes are also beautiful. You get a candy pink, a rich plum and a vibrant redish coral shade. I can't wait to wear them all. Again, great job NYX on the pigmentation.


And look at those swatches! A little on a brush will definitely go a long way.

Overall, I am super happy with the value I got for this palette. NYX has set the bar high for drugstore branded combination palettes. I can definitely see myself travelling with this. The pigmentation on the highlighters and blushes are amazing and there are some kickass shadows in this palette. 

The few cons that I found were that the contour shades wouldn't make a huge difference on my skin tone, they should've included a bit more difference in the shades. There were a few shadows that were a miss that I talked about earlier. 

Other than those few problems I had, I am very happy with this product and would definitely recommend this. Ladies, if you see this in your Rexall for $19.99, pick it up! You won't regret it, I promise! What were the beauty Boxing Day picks that you found? 

Loving this palette review? Check out my other reviews, like my Modern Renaissance
 one here!




No comments:

Post a Comment